Little Falls Granite Works
The Little Falls Granite Works was founded in 1911. This fact has been debated throughout the years. Because a business with a similar name, the Little Falls Granite Company, was formed in 1897, some assumed that this was the beginning of the Little Galls Granite Works. Further confusing the matter was the Little Falls Granite and Marble Works, which was in existence in 1907/08. A careful examination of the historical record and information from Harriet Karlson, daughter-in-law of founder G.W. Karlson, made the origins of the 100-year-old plus Little Falls Granite Works clear.
These were all separate companies, with the Little Falls Granite Company having been formed by J.F. McAulay, Joseph and Louis Robbers, and George and Charles Hall. (LFDT, May 14, 1897) This company, which was often referred to as the Little Falls Granite Works in news items, was purchased by the Davidson Granite Company in 1901. The officers of the company were A.R. Davidson, F.E. Kenaston, A.D. Davidson, and A.D. McRae. (LFDT, March 22, 1901) The Davidson Granite Company did not continue the use of the Little Falls Granite Company name.
Murphy Granite Carving
Our company had its humble beginning back in 1961 when owner Tim Murphy started moonlighting from his full-time job with Cold Spring Granite and began carving cemetery headstones, grave markers, and monuments for families in Central Minnesota. In 1968, Tim decided to go full-time on his own and quit his secure stone cutting and polishing job for the Granite Company.
The early years were hard and tough while Tim worked out of his tiny garage with limited staff, money, and equipment. It took another eight years for the company to grow sufficiently so that it could upsize with the purchase of the present building site and location in Richmond, MN. In the early 1980s, Tim’s dream truly began to take shape, and it marked a time when he brought several of his sons into the company to help in its continued growth and expansion.
Duluth Monument Company
Leo Koski started Duluth Monument in 1982 after a downturn in the economy and getting laid off from his work in the mines. Early in his working career, he worked for a private gas station owner. The owner had a sales training program, and Leo discovered that he loved connecting with people. He knew that he wanted a career that involved helping others when searching for a new job. During this journey, he came across a gentleman who suggested the monument business and the seeds were planted.
The initial years proved to be more difficult than Leo imagined. Dealing with people at a time of grief and heightened emotion was hard to connect on a real personal level. The turning point came in 1987 when his second and third-grade teacher, Mrs. Avis Opine, walked through his door to purchase a memorial for her husband, who had passed away. Leo credited Mrs. Opine as the most influential person in his early childhood development. She was tough, demanding, and yet fair. Running into her again after all these years and for her to place trust in Leo during a difficult time in her life meant the world to him. From that time on, the business started to flourish and grow. Mrs. Opine’s confidence and trust in him turned out to be the best thing ever for Leo. Imagine how the same individual turned out twice in his life to play such a key role in his success and development.
Hibbing Monument Company
In 1902, Mt. Iron Granite Quarry was purchased by W. Wright from Duluth, MN. He purchased the 40-acre site in speculation that it would be perfect for mining iron ore, but the site turned out to be a complete bust. The huge hill was full of nonferrous granite. This hill of Mesabi Pink granite was used mainly as a place where people enjoyed picnics, campfires, blueberry picking, and graffiti. It turns out that countless highschool graduates wanted to leave their mark on the world.
The real story began with David Herman Soderstrom, an immigrant from Sweden who surveyed the site in the early 930s. A stonecutter by trade, he had a vision for the hill of granite rock. The granite had a perfect rich pink color, and it was much more dense and consistent in color as compared to the granite quarries around St. Cloud, MN. Mr. Soderstrom bought some used granite equipment and began his quarrying operation. They would cut out various size blocks and ship them to Melrose Granite Company in st. Cloud for cutting them down into more exact sizes and finishing them to become tablets and bases for cemetery memorials.